We were together for some important event. Once the event was over, we had a brief talk. Suddenly, some one started, “Who is going to win IPL?”
One grandfather of 90’s entered into discussion, said, “Before anyone says anything, please know that all the EPL, IPL, NBA are highly predictable games. Even I know Ranaji Trophy will be won by Mumbai very soon for 50th time. Your IPL also will be won by them in 2050 for 25th time. Why you people waste time on such games? Running 1500 meters race, Kabaddi,
We already know that best team will win.
There were lots of NBA, EPL, IPL, Olympics fans in the room, all jumped in. They took criticism positively.
Then he said, “You know even I can tell you which country has most chances o winning the medals in Olympics. Don’t waste your time, keep good and healthy habits like running, gardening, walking, in place of going and watching these fool worthy games.
I just interrupted him by giving facts and figures and how, Mr. Abhinav Bindra win the Olympic gold medal, and Mr. Usain bolt win the 100 m sprint, etc.
Then he said, “It’s always 80-20 predictable.”
He proved with his fact and figure.
Everybody took the high criticism positively and raised the questions and discussed it.
Some of the questions were, like this.
1. Is it the old criticism over these games leagues?
2. Will it survive like they did in the past?
3. Will it have negative effect on the business of the games?
4. Will it affect moral of other players, who have the pot boiling association with these games?
5. Will the teams be able to avert these kinds of criticism in future?
6. Why such critics always prove their points, right?
7. Why the fans cannot prove their points?
100’s of questions were discussed.
"Positive criticism is always welcome", all the young generation, and NBA, IPL, EPL, fans, said to Grandfather and bid a goodbye to him.
For Management experts and students it is a gold mine of discussion, when, talent management in this "era of knowledge is the boss".